Got a question? Bring it on! We’ve compiled the most common ones into the categories below for your convenience.
If you can’t find an answer here, our Client Services team would be happy to help. You can reach us via phone, live chat or online form – find all the details on our Contact Us page. And you can always stop in to your nearest salon to speak to a Tanning Consultant!
- What are the hours of each Sun Tan City location?
- All Sun Tan City locations are open, at a minimum, from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week. But specific operating hours are unique to each location, so your best bet is to find your local salon and call for current hours.
- What are some tanning tips?
- Keep in mind these simple – but valuable – indoor tanning tips:
- Stay moisturized. Healthy, moisturized skin tans faster and maintains its color longer. Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated, and regularly use proper skin care products. We offer a wide range of skin care products specially formulated for tanners.
- Take care of sensitive skin. Certain areas of the body just don’t tan, and UV overexposure can be damaging.
- Protect your eyes. You must always wear UV-protecting goggles approved for indoor tanning.
- Protect your lips. Use a high-SPF sunscreen lip balm to keep lips moisturized and protected from UV rays during tanning sessions.
- Be cautious when tanning nude. Sensitive areas of the body that don’t normally receive much sun exposure should be moisturized and exposed to UV only a little at a time.
- Watch out for photosensitivity. Photosensitivity is a condition in which skin is more likely to redden when exposed to UV light. It can be caused by medications or ingredients commonly found in perfumes and makeup. Talk to your doctor about your medications before you begin tanning, and come to tanning sessions free of makeup and perfumes.
For more information, check out our Sunbed & Booth Tanning Tips.
- What is the best way to care for skin while tanning?
- The very best way to care for your skin during tanning is to keep it nourished and moisturized, while giving it plenty of time to finish the tanning process. The tanning process can take up to 24 hours, even after only a few minutes under our lamps. During that time, color continues to develop and skin needs rehydrating inside and out. For the best tan possible, take your time; build your base tan slowly while keeping your skin moisturized.If you’re a first-time tanner, talk with your Sun Tan City Tanning Consultant to find the right tanning lotions for you, based on your skin type and tanning goals. They are a great way to give your skin a refreshing boost of moisture and nutrients, which will help to extend the life of your tan.After a tanning session, apply your chosen tan extender twice daily to help keep your skin soft and healthy. Don’t forget to moisturize from the inside out by drinking plenty of water and avoiding additional prolonged UV exposure. If you know you will be outside for a long period of time, remember your sunscreen.For more information, check out our Skin Care Tips.
- Where can I find Sun Tan City’s current specials?
- Multiple places! On this website, visit the Specials page to get details on all our latest offers, print coupons and send deals to your friends. We also regularly post updates about our specials on social media, so follow Vicki on the Sun Tan City blog, Facebook and Twitter.To be first in the know, sign up for the 4-1-1 Club! 4-1-1 Club members receive emails about our special offers before anyone else, plus access to select promotions that aren’t advertised in stores or on the website. Members also receive an exclusive free birthday gift.Also, be sure to ask your Tanning Consultant about current specials each time you come in for a session.
- Can you send me a Sun Tan City price list?
- With more than 250 locations across 18 states, Sun Tan City has a wide variety of markets! We do our best to offer the most competitive pricing in each area, and we sometimes offer specials that are exclusive to a particular salon, market or region. This means it is not possible to distribute comprehensive price lists to interested clients. The best way for you to find out detailed pricing and specials available in your area is to visit your local salon and speak to a Tanning Consultant.
- Can I contact the Sun Tan City corporate headquarters?
- Of course! We love to hear from our tanners! We welcome any feedback that can help us provide a more satisfying tanning experience. Our Tanning Consultants at your local salon can address concerns, or, if you prefer, you can email us at [email protected] or call us at 270-765-7400. Get more details on our Contact Us page.
- Can I buy a Sun Tan City franchise?
- We would love the opportunity to bring our superior tanning experience to your community in the future. Learn more about new franchise opportunities and franchise conversion opportunities in our Franchise section of this website, and contact us at [email protected] or 1-855-727-2684 for more information.
- Who do I contact about future STC locations?
- Search our Locations page to see what new locations are “Coming Soon” across the country. You can also contact us at [email protected] for more information.Have you spotted a piece of real estate that would be perfect for a new Sun Tan City location? We’d love to hear about it. Please provide as much information about the location as possible when contacting us at the above e-mail address, or by calling us at 270-765-7400.
- Why is there an additional 10% added to my tanning service?
- As of July 1, 2010, the federal government has charged a 10% tax on indoor tanning. We regret that we are required to charge this tax, and encourage you to contact your elected officials with any comments.
- What are the benefits of joining Club Sun?
- There are so many reasons to join Club Sun!
- Get a variety of opportunities to tan
- Tan at any Sun Tan City location
- Save money on larger commitment plans
- Automatic payment plans are easy, convenient
- Freeze your price
- Get exclusive product discounts
- Take advantage of member-only specials
- Get frequent opportunities for tanning session upgrades – and discounts on upgrades!
For more details, visit our Benefits of Club Sun page.
- Can I use my Club Sun membership at other Sun Tan City locations?
- Yes! We want you to be able to tan wherever is most convenient for you – close to work, close to home, on vacation, anywhere! All our salons are connected with the same client network, so once you’re enrolled in Club Sun, any of our locations can access your membership information in just a few clicks.You’ll get the same great quality at every Sun Tan City salon. However, not all locations have the full range of products and beds, so call ahead to the salon you’re interested in to confirm that the bed or product you prefer is available.
- How does Club Sun auto-pay work?
- Once you’ve paid your initial Club Sun sign-up cost, the rest of your payments can be set up to be handled automatically each month. We can bill automatically to a credit card, debit card or bank account – just make sure to bring the necessary information when you get started. Then we’ll bill you at the same time each month, so you can relax when you come in for sessions, knowing you’ve already paid!
- How can I change my Club Sun billing information?
- It’s easy – just stop by one of our salons to talk to a Tanning Consultant. Bring your credit card, debit card or bank account information with you, and the Tanning Consultant will help get your account updated so you can get back to being pampered. For any problems or questions, contact Client Services.
- How can I cancel my Club Sun membership?
- If you just need to take a break from tanning, we offer a convenient membership freeze option. Anytime after your monthly agreement has been met, you can talk to a Tanning Consultant to freeze your account immediately at no cost upfront. While your account is frozen, an automatic $5 freeze payment will be applied to your account.When you’re ready to get back to tanning, talk to a Tanning Consultant about lifting the freeze. You’ll pay the prorated amount for the rest of the month, and the freeze payments you made will be credited back toward your Club Sun membership. That’s it! No penalties, no new enrollments, no change of terms. You’ll get right back to tanning with Club Sun just as you had before.If you decide to stop tanning altogether, canceling is an easy process after you’ve met your minimum payment requirement. Talk to a Tanning Consultant at your local salon to cancel your account immediately. Be sure to cancel before the end of the month to avoid incurring a final monthly charge.
- When is the last day to cancel my membership?
- If you’ve been dissatisfied with your Club Sun membership for any reason, we’d love the chance to make it right. Please consider speaking with a Sun Tan City Tanning Consultant to find out if there is an option available through Club Sun that can exceed your expectations. We’re willing to work with you any way we can – after all, you’re worth it.If you decide to stop tanning altogether, canceling is an easy process after you’ve met your minimum payment requirement. Talk to a Tanning Consultant at your local salon to cancel your account immediately. Be sure to cancel before the end of the month to avoid incurring a final monthly charge.
- Can I place a hold on my Club Sun account?
- Yes! We offer a convenient freeze option. Anytime after your monthly agreement has been met, you can talk to a Tanning Consultant to freeze your account immediately at no cost upfront. While your account is frozen, an automatic $5 freeze payment will be applied to your account.When you’re ready to get back to tanning, talk to a Tanning Consultant about lifting the freeze. You’ll pay the prorated amount for the rest of the month, and the freeze payments you made will be credited back toward your Sun Tan City account. That’s it! No penalties, no new enrollments, no change of terms. You’ll get right back to tanning with Club Sun just as you had before.
- Can I cancel my Club Sun membership by phone?
- If you decide to cancel your Sun Tan City Club Sun membership, we hope you have enjoyed tanning with us and will consider us for your sun tanning and sunless tanning needs in the future.If you’re dissatisfied with your Club Sun membership, please talk to a Tanning Consultant. We’d love the opportunity to make your tanning experience the best it can be.To cancel your Club Sun account, we encourage you to stop by your local salon so that we can provide you with a printed receipt detailing that the membership has been canceled. If it’s not convenient to get to your nearest Sun Tan City, please contact Client Services.
- Is sun tanning safe?
- Tanning is a natural function of the human body. Outdoors, your skin is exposed to a blend of ultraviolet light (UV) that causes the ignition of the cells that produce pigment. These cells release pigment chemicals that rise to the surface, triggering an effect that is intended to protect the skin from the loss of moisture and nutrients that comes from prolonged exposure. This effect is what we know as sun tanning.When trying to tan outdoors, however, you have little control over the types of UV that your skin is exposed to. Time of day, geographic location, season, weather, and depth of the ozone layer all factor into what rays do and do not ultimately become absorbed by your skin. This is precisely why some people tan outdoors, and some don’t – and why sometimes you get a great tan, and at other times, the result is a painful reddening.When you redden, your skin dries out, and becomes damaged as a result. The overexposure to UV light leaves you with the unsightly, painful, and slow healing effects of sunburn. Additionally, the top layer of skin will usually peel off. It’s just better to avoid overexposure to UV light at any cost. Unfortunately, besides wearing sunscreen and limiting sun exposure, there’s no way for you to control the amount of UV light your skin absorbs outdoors.With indoor sun tanning at a Sun Tan City tanning salon, however, both the amount of UV and the type of UV your skin is exposed to are strictly controlled. We call this “Smart Tanning,” and the golden rule is to get a great tan every time, and not to burn.
Neither tanning outdoors nor tanning indoors is completely safe. However, controlled and responsible exposure, preventative and nourishing skin care products, state-of-the art tanning equipment, and expert staff education makes indoor sun tanning at Sun Tan City the most control over your body’s natural tanning process you can get.
- Why am I always asked if I have goggles before a sun tanning session?
- Wearing goggles every time you tan is a requirement. State and federal regulations require that every time you tan, you must wear eyewear that protects against 99% of UVA rays and 99.9% of UVB rays.Your eyelids, regular sunglasses, towels, or other non-regulation compliant items will not filter out UV rays. It takes a specially formulated lens to protect your delicate eye tissue from UV exposure. Too much exposure can cause permanent damage to your vision, including cornea burns or degeneration, loss of color vision, loss of vision at night, or even cataracts.We care about your safety, which is why we make absolutely certain that you have federally compliant eyewear each time you choose us for your sun tanning experience.
- Can anyone tan at Sun Tan City?
- Everyone’s body is different, and while a great majority of people can take full advantage of our state-of-the-art tanning options, sunbeds may not be the best choice for everyone. Our sunbeds reproduce exposure to the sun to a very realistic degree, something that should be considered if you have any conditions that could be agitated by sun exposure.The FDA recommends that you consider the following before enjoying UV sun tanning:Prone to reddening. Indoor tanning beds and lamps mimic the sun’s rays. If your skin reacts to sun exposure by reddening instead of tanning, it will not do differently in a tanning bed.Current medications. If you are currently on a medication that causes your skin to be more sensitive to sun exposure, you should be careful when choosing a tanning option. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you’re unsure how UV exposure will affect you.
If UV tanning isn’t the right choice for you, you can still get a great tan in the same relaxing environment with one of our sunless tanning options.
- Is there a minimum tanning age?
- Sun Tan City welcomes anyone 18 and older to come in to experience our quality UV sun tanning at any time. However, we do employ strict age guidelines for those under the age of 18. The minimum age for tanning is regulated by individual state laws.Generally, if you’re between the ages of 14 and 18 and would like to enjoy our UV tanning options, you’re welcome to do so provided that your parent or legal guardian co-signs for your Sun Tan City membership and provides his or her informed consent for you to use our sun tanning equipment and other services by signing our parental consent form. Again, the minimum age for tanning is regulated by state law, and in some states indoor UV tanning is prohibited for persons under the age of 18.If you’re under 16 in a state that permits tanning by minors, you’re welcome to tan anytime as long as your parent or guardian signs the parental consent form and is present for every visit. We ask that your parent or guardian stay at the facility for the duration of your tanning session.No one under age 14 may use UV tanning beds or lamps at this time.
However, anyone can use our sunless tanning booths, and we fully encourage it!
- How do I know the tanning bed is clean?
- Our goal is to make sure you have complete peace of mind while you’re enjoying time in a Sun Tan City tanning bed or sunless tanning booth. That’s why we take sanitation of our facilities and equipment very seriously. You will never be left wondering about cleanliness when you choose Sun Tan City for your tanning experience.After each client completes his or her tanning session, our employees prepare the room and the tanning bed or booth for its next use. All tanning equipment, both sunbeds and sunless booths, are sanitized using Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved products.But we don’t stop there. Any and all additional furniture that could come in contact with one of our clients during their tanning session is properly cleaned prior to use. This includes pillows, cushions, tabletops, handles and acrylic surfaces.Finally, once a Sun Tan City employee has properly sanitized all applicable equipment, the cleaning is recorded in our computer system and marked as complete. We will always have a record of the room and tanning booth being sanitized prior to your visit.
- When is the best time to tan?
- At Sun Tan City, you can get a great tan at any time of the year! Year-round access is one of the major benefits of indoor UV sun tanning and sunless tanning. Unlike tanning outside, indoor tanning in a sunbed or booth is completely controlled and regulated, meaning a deep, even bronze all year long.In regards to the best time of day to tan, outdoor tanning exposes your skin to different amounts of UVA and UVB rays during different times of the day. Weather conditions and the thickness of the ozone layer are always changing throughout the day, making your outdoor UV exposure unreliable. Therefore, you may tan very well between the hours of 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. one day, but sit outside for four hours on another day and not get an ounce of color. With indoor tanning, you can tan at whatever time of day you like, and your UV exposure will be equal and consistent each time you tan.
- Do I have to make an appointment at Sun Tan City?
- Nope! In order to offer tanning sessions at Sun Tan City on your schedule, tanning visits are first-come, first-serve. You won’t ever have to worry about scheduling, re-scheduling, calling ahead or canceling an appointment with us. Tan on your terms!Please be aware, however, that first-come, first-serve tanning may sometimes mean a short wait.
- What should I bring if I want to start tanning?
- If you’ve never tanned with Sun Tan City, please be sure to bring a valid photo ID, and either your checking account information or a credit/debit card if you are interested in signing up for a Club Sun membership.If you’re under the age of 18, and your state permits tanning by minors, you’ll need to bring a photo ID and your legal parent or guardian. Your parent or guardian can purchase a Club Sun membership for you, and must still present a valid form of payment. He or she will need to sign our Club Sun agreement form. If you’re under 16 and your state permits tanning by minors, your parent or guardian must remain present for your entire visit.Other items you may want to bring:
- Goggles. These are required by law, but we also sell them in salons for your convenience.
- Lip Balm. We recommend you protect the sensitive skin of lips during your sessions.
- Tanning Lotion. You may not bring outdoor tanning lotion or lotion not approved for indoor tanning use.
Ask one of our expertly trained Tanning Consultants to guide you through our products and explain how they can help your tanning experience.
We look forward to meeting you!
- What should I wear to my tanning visits?
- Your room at Sun Tan City is entirely private, and employees will not interrupt you during your tanning session. You are free to wear whatever you like to make the most of your tanning experience.Many of those who enjoy private indoor tanning do so in the nude. Nude tanning provides the most even coverage, as well as a sense of total-body relaxation you just can’t get anywhere else. However, because tender areas of your body are exposed during your sessions that are not accustomed to being exposed to sunlight, you will want to introduce your body to nude UV exposure at a relaxed pace.For those with concerns about sanitation or modesty, you are also welcome to tan wearing swimwear of any coverage level, or any other tan-through fabric item of clothing. The choice is yours!
- How do I tan?
- Sun tanning is an easy, natural process that anyone can enjoy. But the secret to great tanning lies in proper skin preparation and proper aftercare. That’s because tanning doesn’t stop after you’ve stepped out of the tanning bed. In fact, tanning is a continual process that you’ll become aware of many hours after your visit!Be sure to talk with your Tanning Consultant about these important steps before you tan:UV protective goggles. State and federal regulations require that every time you tan, you must wear eyewear that protects against 99% of UVA rays and 99.9% of UVB rays. We offer temporary and multi-use goggles for purchase at every Sun Tan City location.Tan times. Your Tanning Consultant will be able to gauge your skin type and recommend a length of tanning session that will be the best choice for you. Tanning for too long can lead to overexposure and reddening.
Lotions. Using a specialized lotion during your tanning session will help you tan faster and maintain your tan longer.
When you’re ready to tan, your Tanning Consultant will take you to your room and show you how to work the equipment. Once you’re ready, simply push the start button and relax, or if you prefer, the bed will automatically begin after five minutes. Lower the lid, and you’re ready to go!
- What can I expect after tanning?
- After sun tanning, our hope is that you feel warm and relaxed and that you continue to feel your best throughout the rest of your day. However, you may not see results immediately following your tanning session. You may feel the glow of your skin at work, but your bronze color may not be visible for several hours. In fact, it may continue for up to 24 hours!To nurture your skin and make sure your tan reaches its full golden color, consider investing in one of our specially formulated tan-extending lotions before you leave Sun Tan City. These products are designed to keep skin soft and healthy and keep your tan looking its best.
- What should I do to care for my tan?
- It takes a little bit of extra care in order to keep your sun tan looking its very best, but not a lot of time. All of our products are formulated to help your skin stay well nourished and moisturized and to keep your tan glowing and vibrant. Ask your Tanning Consultant which products are the best for your skin type before you leave Sun Tan City.When showering, consider using the gentle ingredients of a tan-extending body wash. It is a great way to cleanse your skin while also nourishing and extending your tan.After showering, liberally apply one of our tan extenders. Our tan-extending lotions feature special enhancers that will make your tan stay vibrant longer while nourishing and softening skin. Be sure to drink plenty of water to nourish your skin from the inside, too, for maximum tan effectiveness.Finally, be sure to wait a full 24 hours for the tanning process to complete before coming back to tan again. As long as your skin stays soft and healthy and shows no signs of reddening, Sun Tan City welcomes you to come back in order to deepen your color and maintain your shine.
- Can I exchange my sun tanning lotion?
- Absolutely! Returns and exchanges are always simple at Sun Tan City. We think you will find our 60-Day Exchange Policy friendly and convenient.
- What is photosensitivity?
- Photosensitivity is a condition that causes your skin to be more sensitive to sunlight, meaning it will have more intense reactions when exposed to UV rays. These reactions may go beyond the usual symptoms of sunburn. Exposure of photosensitive skin to sunlight or artificially produced UV rays — like those in sun tanning beds — can have intense and painful side effects. It’s very important to know whether or not your skin is photosensitive before using one of our UV tanning beds or booths.How can you tell if you’re photosensitive? The condition is not uncommon and can be inherited, caused as a symptom of another condition or illness, and it can also be caused by medication, both prescription and over the counter. Photosensitivity can be triggered by the ingredients in products we use on a daily basis, such as makeup, perfume, anti-inflammatory drugs and topical acne treatments.It’s very important to consult with your doctor before you begin tanning if you believe that any of your current medications may contain agents that would make your skin photosensitive. If you’re not sure, please ask a pharmacist or doctor. Photosensitive skin will not tan properly and it’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Can I tan over my tattoos?
- Absolutely! You can build and maintain a great sun tan while being mindful of your body art. Because the ink of a tattoo exists within the layers of your skin where UV rays start the tanning process, it’s very important to be aware of your tattoos and take steps to protect tattooed areas from UV exposure.Before coming in for a tanning session at Sun Tan City, make sure any recent tattoos are completely healed. Skin that has been recently tattooed is trying to complete the cycle of healing, and exposure to UV rays like those in a sun tanning bed may affect the results. Your tattoo is an investment, just like your tan, and it’s a good idea to let your tattoo completely heal before trying to continue the tanning process.If you’re not sure if a tattoo is completely healed, speak with your tattoo artist. He or she will likely be able to tell you if your tattoo is healed enough to visit Sun Tan City. It’s better to wait and resume your tanning sessions after your tattoo is fully healed.If your tattoo isn’t ready and you still want to tan, please consult your tattoo artist as to the best way to protect your tattoo from UV exposure.
Healed tattoos and older tattoos can be tanned by applying a high SPF lotion to the tattooed area prior to starting your tanning session. While UV rays turn your skin bronze, the tanning process can fade tattoo ink over time. Be sure to protect your body art with sunblock, so its colors stay as vibrant as your tan.
- Will my skin look orange after sunless tanning?
- Our sunless tanning systems were specially designed to eliminate external causes of typical sunless tanning orange and yellow colorization effects. The first step in preventing unusual colorization is to choose a sunless tanning formula that is right for you. Many people assume that a sunless tanner will work regardless of the tone of their skin, especially when buying over-the-counter. But if the sunless tanner you choose is too dark for your natural skin type, you’re more likely to be unsatisfied with the results. Unfortunately, many people who choose the wrong shade of sunless tanner to start with will often apply it more liberally in an attempt to obtain the desired effect. This can lead to uneven coverage, streaking and bright orange color!Our sunless tanning systems have several different formulas to suit a wide range of client skin types and tones. The bronzing solution comes in three different formulas and two different tints to perfectly match your skin type. Additionally, our sunless tanning bronzing formula is packed with natural ingredients to keep your skin nourished and help it absorb the solution for even more of the look and feel of a natural tan. In addition, proper use of the sunless tanning barrier cream before your session begins will ensure that the areas of your body most likely to exfoliate will receive just the right amount of coverage to avoid color changes.
- What is Anti-Aging & Skin Firming Moisturizer treatment?
- An Anti-Aging & Skin Firming Moisturizer treatment is an additional experience available at the end of your sunless tanning session. The Anti-Aging & Skin Firming Moisturizer treatment contains three beneficial ingredients in one easy step to help finalize your sunless tanning session:A special moisturizer. This nourishes your skin from head to toe, keeping it smooth and supple, allowing the sunless tanning formula to seal more evenly from head to toe. Skin that is well moisturized is more likely to bond with the bronzing solution to help your color go deeper. Moisturize often even after your treatment to maintain a consistent, sunny glow for seven days or more!A small amount of additional bronzing formula. This helps your tan last even longer. This formula contains Food and Drug Administration (FDA)-approved natural derivatives and sugars that continue the sunless tanning process for up to six hours.Natural ginger root extract. The extract helps eliminate any fragrance from the tanning solution once it is applied, and it’s also one of the best-known anti-aging ingredients in nature. Natural antioxidants found in ginger root help your skin stay smooth, firm, flexible and healthy throughout the sunless tanning process. The next time you visit Sun Tan City, give one of our anti-aging, skin-firming moisturizing treatments a try.
Learn more about our Sunless Tanning Products.
- If I get a sunless tan can I use a tanning sunbed, too?
- Yes! In fact, we recommend it. At Sun Tan City, we call this two-step process the “Double-Dip,” and it provides our clients with one of the fastest, most natural-looking instant tans available.Here’s how the Double-Dip works:First, you’ll spend a relaxing session in our Instant sun tanning bed. The Instant sunbed uses revolutionary UV tanning technology and is the very best Sun Tan City has to offer for those looking for a deep base tan in the fewest number of visits. But the Double-Dip doesn’t stop once your Instant session is over.From there, you’ll step into one of our sunless booths, featuring a private, open-air design that allows your body to cool from the warmth of the Instant sunbed. The specially formulated sunless tanning solution will be applied in a light, cooling mist to soothe, nourish and soften skin. Add an anti-aging, skin-firming moisturizing treatment to the end of your session for a naturally enriched extra step that will help your sunless tan last longer and keep your skin soft.
You’ll come away shining bright with a sunny, even bronze tan immediately after your visit. And the results last even longer than if you’d used UV or sunless booths individually!
Choosing the Double-Dip can accomplish several things: it can darken stubborn tans instantly, get you prepped for a wedding or event, or help you get the color results you want while working on a base tan. The Double-Dip is one of Sun Tan City’s most fabulous ways to shine!